Joe's School (ex-Travel) Diary

This blog is a mish-mash of experiences that I have had since its inception. Orignally, it allowed me to stay in communication while overseas summer 2006 with family and friends. Now it survives as just a pulse of what happening with me and since I am back in school full time now, there isn't as much travel. Still, read, laugh, share, comment, suggest and give me the link to your blog so I can check it out. Thanks For Reading, Joe Dumesnil

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Le Simpsons, hu-hu


Good News, they have The Simpsons over here. And like any good fan I would watch even if, let’s say it were in French and I didn’t understand a single word. But, it was the one that ends with Sponge Bob Square Pants, God and the Kentucky Colonel.

Anyway, we had our first workshop kick off today and it went well. Identifying the problems and getting buy in from the participants and re-define location specific processes. When we were in the Rockies doing the HR workshop, some of us went out for a bite after the first evening and came to the conclusion that if we heard the word “process” at all the next day we were going to “Scream Real Loud” as if it were Pee Wee Herman’s word of the day. Instead we decide to do just a subtle “boom-shack-lacka-boom” with a rowdy fist movement. Maybe you had to be there… short of it is that the word process is used approximately every 1.039 seconds and I find it humorous. I mean, we are the Business Process Optimization Team, but I have to find some humor in the whole deal.

And well, today was the dustiest, sandiest day yet. A yellow haze of the approaching sand on the horizon everywhere you turn. It didn’t engulf us or anything, just a breezy, hot, I mean roasty, day.

I called a couple of numbers given to me to try and track down a regularly scheduled meeting, if you know what I mean, unfortunately with no avail (no answer or call back yet and a Bill Wilson who?). And I have emailed New York GSO to get meeting info for Bahrain and Dubai seeing as we plan to be there over the next couple of weekends. No worries. You can’t help but make time for some spirituality when you are in a place where they pray 5 times a day over megaphones broadcasting the message of faith over the landscape. When Muslims pray it is quite a thing to hear as the mosques within earshot will have their megaphones turned up loud as can be and be singing/saying/praying the same exact prayer, yet a couple of seconds out of sync. I would like to try and get a sound byte for the blog, I’ll see what I can do.

I got a 2 dollar haircut from a guy with Elvis hair on the compound to day for 20 Riyal (SR), roughly 7 bucks. He gave it a good go on the first round, but I told him I wanted it shorter. This ticked him off as if he hadn’t done a good job with what mop of head he was given to work with. A 5 Riyal tip later I had the shortest damn haircut I have ever had.

I hope you all are doing well. Thanks for reading my blog-thing-whatchamacallit. Hi Mom, Dad, Aunt Betty and Barbara, Alfonso, Danny, Grandmommy, Sis, Joe, Webber, Lazlo, Belsie, Lorgan, Marci, Juedes, Pam, The F1J1 guys East Coast and West Coast, Selene, Lisa, Brad, Dawn and any else I may have left off the list. I miss you all and think about ya’ll a lot. Just wishing you were here to take it all in with me, cause its really pretty cool (figuratively of course). Just let me know if you want to come visit, I have a couch you know (wink).

Joe

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

5 AM here. And we though it was hot here this weekend, in the 90's. No sand storms though. Your 10th reunion was this weekend. I e mailed Alisson and gave her the blog address. The haircut is fine. At least you won't haave to get it cut again anytime soon.

Love, Mom

3:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
we had fun a the reunion. I filled some people in on your whereabouts and all. there was a really good showing. about 40 or so. There all the same people though some personalities have gotten bigger. Kopelman has expanded ten fold into the biggest ego-maniac that I've ever seen. some surprise. No Siegfried. Merlin is doing great and got engaged on thursday to a enchanting young lady named margo. He does graffic in NYC. Piper's a divorce attorney with the raspiest voice I've ever seen and Ivor came with his blonde russian and a pink shirt under a blazer. Hilarious, reallly. Sounds like your enjoying your experience in Bahrain. I've heard only good things about the area. Beautiful and great people. Get some shwarma and some fresh mango juice if you can and try a hooka with the apple tobacco. truely wanderful though watch out for the buzz. the tobacco is really strong and catches you unawares. If your interested I can teach you some phrases that will help with the cultural introduction. Maybe you're alread versed but first is the greeting, "asalam a lekum" to which the response is "lekum asalam". It means god be with you and also with you. a real ice breaker for us whities. anyway if you want more just ask. Have fun. take care Matt

11:40 AM  
Blogger Joe Dumesnil said...

Mom this is Matt Pinney from Taft writing. He wen tot the reunion. Matt, thanks for the phrase, I'll use it. Headed to Dubai for the weekend, Thursday Friday weekends remember. I'll post more.

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time, tell the barber you want a Kentucky Waterfall Mullet. It's a little diiferent than the Sho-Lo, but he'll understand.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JUSt caught up on your Blog, very fun! Had a good trip to Denver, went to the top of Pikes Peak! Missed you though. Love, Barbara and Alfonzo

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your info is so informative and i am enjoying hearing and seeing what its like over there so much. you look great with your haircut! have you found bill w? much love betty

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah,
Let me jump in my space plane and I'll be there in 30 minutes.
Sounds as if you are really comfortable there. that's great. will keep looking forward to more blogs. Dan C.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,
I was so excited to see that they had the Simpsons over there for you! You can take Joe out of America but you can't take Joe away from his Simpsons!! I was so amazed by how beautiful the picture you have taken and posted, it looks like it is just beautiful over there. I still think that I just need to live vicariously through you, because I am to chicken to go over seas! I think the Rockies is a big accomplishment for me! So keep on posting stories and pictures. I really do enjoy your blog site, it is really neat to learn about another culture from an American's view. Thanks for sharing it with me. Take care of yourself and be safe.
Dawn

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home